July 2nd, 2009
Here are the top 10 places to celebrate the 4th of July and some of their best events:
- Boston: Over 200 events including Boston Harborfest and the Boston Chowderfest
- Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard: Nantucket’s Independence Day Celebration, Hyannis Boat Parade and Old Whaling Church Barbecue.
- Chicago: Navy Pier Beer Garden, Music Shell and Millennium Park
- Mount Rushmore: Tons of events; see them all here www.nps.gov/moru
- Philadelphia: Visit the Liberty Bell and the historic sites in Independence Mall. Extended viewing hours over the holiday. Here’s a full list of events: www.americasbirthday.com
- Queen Mary 2: Board the Cunard line’s newest prestige cruise ship for a 5 day Independence Day Sampler.
- San Diego: Freedom Days Parade, San Diego Country Fair and Big Bay celebration. For more events visit: www.signonsandiego.com
- San Juan Islands: San Juan Island, Fourth of July Beach and Pig War Picnic. For more events visit: www.guidetosanjuans.com
- US Virgin Islands: Parade on St. John. For more events visit: www.usvitourism.vi
- Washington, DC: Smithsonian Folklife Festival and National Independence Day Parade. For more events visit: www.washington.org